Our guest today on “Healthy Births, Happy Babies” is Laura Shanley, the author of Unassisted Childbirth and is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in the natural-birth movement. She also works with women on a one-on-one basis, providing childbirth counsel and emotional support before, during and after pregnancy.
In this episode, we will cover:
- How Laura came to realization that she could birth her own 5 children by herself, at home, without any medical supervision (**I misspoke in the recording of the episode that Laura had 3 unassisted births-it should have been 5)
- What books and resources she read to be certain that she could do this and that you could read to have a more natural, powerful birth
- Which 3 negative emotions she believes are the greatest contributor to rising c-section rates and medical interventions in birth
Resources mentioned in the conversation:
- Laura Shanley’s website: www.unassistedchildbirth.com
- a link to get her book: Unassisted Childbirth in Amazon
About Laura Shanley:
Laura Shanley is an author, speaker, and childbirth consultant widely recognized as one of the leading voices in the natural-birth movement.
Laura is the author of Unassisted Childbirth (Third Edition, 2016) and maintains a website dedicated to promoting natural birth: www.unassistedchildbirth.com.
Her expertise is frequently sought out by television and movie production companies, and she has been featured in media outlets such as ABC News, 20/20, The Doctors, the Discovery Channel, the New York Times and the Washington Post.
She also works with women on a one-on-one basis, providing childbirth counsel and emotional support before, during and after pregnancy.