Our guest today on “Healthy Births, Happy Babies” is Dr. Stuart Fischbein is an author, podcaster and OB/GYN that practices a midwifery model of care, specializing in supporting women in VBAC, twin and breech deliveries in the home birth setting.
In this episode, we will cover:
- why after 28 years of delivering babies in hospitals did Dr. Stu switch to practicing a midwifery model of prenatal care and do homebirths
- what 2 factors in the hospital setting interfere most with the natural birth process and cause c-section rates to skyrocket
- how Dr. Stu believes this country can move from a medical/disease model of pregnancy and childbirth back to a midwifery/wellness model
Resources mentioned in the conversation:
- Dr. Fischbein’s website: www.birthinginstincts.com
- link to read Dr. Stu’s article “Home Birth” with an Obstetrician: A Series of 135 Out of Hospital Births
- Dr. Stu’s podcast website: www.drstuspodcast.com
- link to Dr. Stu’s Facebook page
About Dr. Stuart Fischbein
Dr. Stuart Fischbein is a fellow of the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology, a lecturer and the published author of “Fearless Pregnancy, Wisdom & Reassurance from a Doctor, A Midwife and A Mom” and “Homebirth With an Obstetrician, A Series of 135 Out of Hospital Births”.
He is an outspoken advocate of informed decision making, the midwifery model of care and human rights in childbirth, receiving the 2016 “Most Audacious” award from HRIC and the Association for Wholistic & Newborn Health.
He shares his thoughts and advocacy for evidenced-based, reasonable choices on his podcast, Dr. Stu’s Podcast.
He now works directly with home birthing midwives, offering hope for those women who cannot find supportive practitioners for VBAC, twin and breech deliveries.